OHIP Coverage Across Canada

If you are an insured resident of Ontario and you are outside the province temporarily you can use your Ontario health card to obtain insured health services. In most cases, the hospital or physician that you visit while outside Ontario will bill the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care directly.

If you are an insured resident and you are hospitalized in another province or territory while temporarily absent from Ontario, you are eligible for Ontario health coverage for the duration of your hospitalization up to a maximum of 12 months. If you require hospitalization beyond the 12 month maximum, the province or territory where you are hospitalized will provide you with coverage from the 1st day of the 13th month.

If you have to pay for health care that you receive in another part of Canada, such as doctors' services, you may be eligible for reimbursement from the ministry.

For more information

Call the ministry INFOline at 1-800-664-8988
(Toll-free in Ontario only)
TTY 1-800-387-5559
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm

More information : http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/